By Gabriel Bbuule
In the recent past, the idea of wedding receptions was rigorously tied to the couple’s home, parents’ home or church yards. Today, wedding parties are not just splendidly organised but also staged in several venues including the beach, gardens, rooftops and halls.
Ethel Eseri Nabulime, an event enthusiast, argues that a hall is presumably the best choice for a wedding since it offers a calm environment and a cool atmosphere, making your event memorable.
Ethel who also performs during weddings says that a hall helps to give out clear sound during live musical performances, more so if it happens to be sound-proofed.
“Live performances are becoming synonymous with weddings and you find that sound gets distorted most times when people perform in open spaces. So it is better for a person to opt for a hall depending on the plan and budget,” Ethel explains.
However, she cautions that a hall can sometimes be a bad choice if the number of guests go higher than its capacity.
John Ssenyonjo, a business man who had his wedding a year ago in a hall, believes that it is one of the best decisions he made during his wedding preparations, as it came with a number of advantages.
He says that besides coincidentally escaping the rain that poured on his big day, halls come with a couple of opportunities, with many providing extra services like chairs and electricity which saved him the burden of hiring a generator.
He reveals that, having planned to use a projector for live streaming and showing their memory lane as a couple, he found all equipment catered for in his hall package unlike the open place where he had been told to hire.
Like John, for those who think that a hall is the best venue for your special day, there are many halls to choose from. Most people assume every hotel or church with a hall allows hosting wedding functions but the reality is some halls are not open to the public.
My Wedding took a look at some halls in Uganda that will make your day pop.
Sharing Hall Nsambya
Situated in the heart of Kampala just near clock tower, the Nsambya Sharing Hall multi-purpose hall is suitable for not only graduation ceremonies, training workshops, seminars, public lectures, music concerts but also wedding receptions with a sitting capacity of 800 – 1,000 people depending on the sitting arrangement.
According to management, clients are assured of chairs, a stand-by generator and a large secure parking yard with all refreshments at a fee.
The hall charges about Shs650,000 from Monday to Thursday. Fridays will see you parting with Shs800,000 while on weekends and public holidays, you will be charged Shs1 million.
Pope Paul Memorial Hotel
For those who would need a photo-shoot near a lake shore, this hall is a convenient option because it is located near the Kabaka’s lake.
The spacious hall is located in Rubaga division, and is within a range of several churches including Miracle Centre Cathedral, Rubaga Cathedral and Namirembe Cathedral among others. This means that your church can be near your venue to help save time and transport costs.
Kati Kati Africa
Situated in Kampala, Kati Kati offers an alternative for people who prefer a small number of guests.
Kati Kati offers four restaurants, two bars, a conference hall and a tennis court. The lush lawns nurtured carefully at the centre facilitates banquets, also accommodates an open air restaurant. Ample parking is available to patrons.
Uganda Manufacturers’ Association (UMA) Hall
Located in the heart of Kampala on Jinja road, UMA is among the most sought after wedding venues with a lot to provide including a big parking space for hundreds of cars.
According to management, UMA Exhibition Hall is open for weddings at a fee and being an indoor venue, it doesn’t go against the KCCA regulations that guide entertainment events.
UMA Hall is spacious and comes with a bar and restaurant to serve your guests.
Hotel Africana is liked by many people because of its accessibility and good service and cuisine.
The hotel has over 14 fully furnished, air-conditioned conference halls with seating capacities ranging from 20 – 3,000 participants, so you are most likely to find one that suits you.
Halls at Africana have free internet access for your weddings guests to enjoy.
Unlike some halls that tend to be unfriendly during hot weather, Africana’s halls are effectively air-conditioned with projection, lighting and audio lines.
Serena Conference Centre
Serena Hotel Kampala also has a number of halls one can have their wedding in. They have stylish interiors which can be good for your photography, creating a comfort for the guests with dramatic surroundings and culinary delights.
It should be noted that Serena’s Victoria Hall is arguably one of the most prestigious event venues in Uganda accommodating at least 1,500 people. Other halls include Achwa, Katonga, Nile, Crane and Turaco.
Sheraton Hotel Kampala
Sheraton Hotel is also much loved for its parking space and gardens for photography. Sometimes couples choose to enjoy a photo opportunity on its roof-top.
At this hotel, you’ll find a range of versatile spaces from executive boardrooms to ballrooms and conference spaces.
Colline Hotel, Mukono
Colline Hotel sits in Mukono, along the way to the famous “Source of the Nile” in Jinja and is also only 21 kilometres from Kampala City centre. It comes with an atmosphere of harmony and tranquility, far away from the city’s maddening crowds and noise.
Other halls include:
- Mengo Teachers’ Cooperative Society Hall (Mengo Teachers’ Hall)
- Nalule Arcade Conference Hall
- Shree Lohana Community Hall
- Makerere College School
- Makerere University Main Hall
- Kiswa Community Center Multipurpose Hall
- Makerere University School of Pharmacy Conference Hall
- Mapera Church Hall
- Fairway Hotel & Spa
- Savana hall
- Sekyana Hall
- Kampala Capital City Authority Head Quarters
- Fairway Hotel & Spa
- Golf Course Hotel
- Hillside Plaza Hotel
- Hotel Triangle
- Kabira Country Club
- Nexus Resorts Hotel
- St Kakumba Chapel Children’s Hall
- Dolphin Suites
- Kabanyolo Main Hall
- The Mackinnon Suites Kampala
- Munyonyo Commonwealth Resort
- Freedom City
- Tropical Suites on Arua Hill
- Heritage Courts Hotel, on Mvara road
- Desert Breeze Hotel, on Mvara road
- White Castle, on Arua Nebbi Road,
- Arua Public Primary school ground, Arua town
- Christ the King Primary School Ground
- Leosim Hotel on Nebbi-Pakwach-road
- Royal Atlas, on Nebbi-Paidha Road
- Media Center ground
- Moyo Multi-purpose located
- Nasera Suites on Moyo-Adjumani road,
- Mandela II on Moyo-Senior Road
- Adjumani Multi-purpose Hall
- Dubai Resort Hall
- Zawadi Hotel on Adjumani-Gulu road
Jinja Town Hall
- Victoria Nile Hall
- St Andrew’s Church
- St James Church
- Jinja SSS Main Hall
- Walukuba Community Hall
- Bugembe youth Center Hall
- Budondo Sub county Hall
- Mafubira Sub county Hall
- Kagote SDA Hall
- Mountains of the Moon Hotel
- Widows Hall
- Lions Club Hall and Recreation Centre
- Patel Shamji Hall, Masaka Town
- Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Parish Hall, Mubende Town
- Kasenyi Church of Uganda Hall, Mubende Municipality
- Jolet Hall, Kyazanga Town
- Ebernezer Hall
- Kiboga District Hall
- Gilead reception hall, Luweero Town Council.
- Fatima Hall at Kasana-Luweero.
- Luweero Diocese Guest House Hall, Luweero Town Council
- Networth Hotel Reception hall, Wobulenzi Town Council.
- Nkoyoyo hall at Uganda Christian University
- Ani Yali Amanyi Hall,Mpigi Town
- Bulo Sub County Main Hall
- Pauline Annex,
- Saint Lira Hotel,
- Days Inn,
- 291 Suites
- Nazareth Family Centre.
- Gulu Senior Secondary School Hall,
- St Pope John Paul II College Hall,
- Gulu University Main Hall
- Lake View Resort Hotel-
- Kamukuzi Division Generation Suites-Kamukuzi Division
- Carol’s Reception Centre-Kamukuzi Division
- Palm World –Kamukuzi Division
- Mwengura Guest House-Kamukuzi Division
- Mbarara Catholic Social Center-Kamukuzi Division
- Kosiya Hotel –Kamukuzi Division
- Hotel Spannet-Kamukuzi Division Igongo
- Culture and Country Hotel- Biharwe Division
- Mizabibu Gardens-Biharwe Division Star Gardens-Kakoba
- Division Uncle Speed’s Venue- Kakoba Division Agip
- Motel-Kakoba Division
- Asamar Hotel-Nyamitanga Division
- Palm Heights-Nyamitanga Division
- Nyamitanga Resort-Nyamitanga Division
- Wagga Resort-Kamukuzi Division
- St Francis Counseling Institute-Nyamitanga Division
- Children’s Peace Park-Kamukuzi Division
- Mbarara University Inn-Kamukuzi Division
- Flagship Piaza-Central Division
- Tuzza Hotel-Central Division
- College View Guest House-Nyakabirizi Division
- Trust White Hotel-Central Division
- Crane Resort Hotel-Ishaka Division
- Betiina Resort-Central Division
- Peak Hotel-Central Division
- Relax Resort-Nyakabirizi Division
- Motiver Grand Suites-Central Division
- Hotel Capricorn-Central Division
- Resort Gardens-Bufunda Division
- Palm Gardens-Kagongo Division
- Hidiscus Lounge-Kagongo Division
- DA Green-Kagongo Division
- Hill View Gardens-Bufunda Division
- City Bite-Kagongo Division
- Green Orchards Bufunda-Division
- Etic Lounge-Bufunda
- Division Joben-Bisheshe Division
- Big Zone-Bufunda Division
- Rukungiri Inn-Eastern Division
- Riverside Hotel-Eastern Division
- Okapi Inn-Western Division
- Town View Gardens-Western Division
- Heritage Motel-Southern Division
- Palm Royale-Southern Division
- Gesso Inn-Western Division Platinum Motel-Buyanja Town Council
- Jerusalem Tree Cottages-Western Division
- Tourist Resort Kyahweire-Eastern Division
- Ankole Resort and Spa -Central Division
- Trek Savannah-Western Division
- Ntungamo Resort Hotel-Western Division
- Kyarimanya Resort-Kabwohe Division
- Senevin Gardens-Kabwohe Division
- Clinka Gardens-Kabwohe Division
- Savannah Resort Hotel-Kihihi Sub County
- Two Stars Motel-Kihihi Town Council
- Kambuga Cottages-Kambuga Town Council
- Rovins Gardens-Kihihi Town Council
- Mariba Inn-Kihihi Town Council
- Kanungu Resort-Kanungu Town Council
- White Horse Inn-Central Division
- Cephas Inn-Northern Division
- Kirigime Guest House-Southern Division
- Rose Gardens-Southern Division