By Maria Immaculate Owechi
Patrick Eyaefe, a Nigerian pastor of Miracle Working God Ministry has expressed his grief over the loss of his dear wife hours after their wedding.
Pastor Eyaefe in an interview yesterday revealed that on March 30th this year, his wife succumbed to a snake bite. According to a Nigerian online website NAIJ Legit, Eyaefe mournfully recounted what happened on that fateful day;
He said: “We were relaxing at home after the marriage at about 7 pm on Sunday, March 30, 2019, when she went to buy sachet water and she had hardly left for five minutes when I heard her screaming for help “I dashed down and she told me that a snake just bit her, I took her to the hospital that night and I tied the leg as someone instructed me.
When we got to the hospital, after paying Naira 1,000 to register, the doctor was not around. The nurse who was on duty had to call the doctor before he came and when he eventually arrived, they were looking at her as if her life was not important.
“The doctor prescribed for me the substance and I went to buy it. When I came back, he insisted I should go back and get the dosage of the drug, and my wife was lying there without being attended to. When I returned, they tightened the rope I had used in tying the leg so that the venom will not spread and right thereafter administering the anti-venom drug, she still died. “My wife died on the day I took her to the altar. They left her for too long without attending to her. It was a case of neglect. If they had acted quickly she would not have died. She died leaving five kids for me. How do I go on?”
The chief medical director of the hospital Dr John Akwara has denied this allegation on behalf of the hospital. According to him, there was very little the doctor could do at the point she was taken to the hospital.
In making this clear, he said: “Snake venoms kill within minutes, the doctor who treated her is a certified medical doctor with over 10 years in service. A snakebite is a snake bite no matterwhere the bite is. It takes five minutes you and you are gone. “We even gave her oxygen, which goes to show how far the damage has been done. Once venom has reached the heart, there is nothing anybody can do about it.”
According to the same website, the couple had been together for eight years and had five children, but only decided to walk down the aisle this year.